Protection and prevention are key to avoiding encounters with dangerous pests. Enjoy a pest-free summer with these five tips:
- Look for Breeding Grounds: Eliminate areas of standing water around the yard, as mosquitoes only need half an inch of water to breed — that’s the size of a bottle cap!
- Wear Insect Repellent: Use insect repellent containing at least 20 percent DEET when spending time outdoors, and make sure to apply it properly; here’s how.
- Check for Ticks: Conduct thorough tick checks after spending time outdoors and wear light-colored clothing to make spotting ticks easier. If one has attached itself, this is the best way to remove it.
- Protect the Party: Keep backyard parties pest-free by covering food and beverages and sealing garbage cans. Use clear cups and cover cans to prevent stinging insects from sneaking inside.
- Rethink Your Wardrobe: Avoid wearing sweet-smelling fragrances, dark-colored clothing or sandals. Certain fragrances and colors can attract pests, and exposed skin is a magnet for biting insects like mosquitoes.