When temperatures drop, pests like cockroaches, spiders, mice and rats look for warm, dry places with ample food to hunker down, making cozy homes exceedingly attractive. Pests can spread diseases to humans and pets, and also pose serious property risks to homeowners, making prevention paramount to keeping a healthy home. With help from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), iPest Solutions San Antonio is encouraging homeowners to take the following precautions that can help keep unwanted invaders out this season.
Many people don’t realize pests remain active throughout winter, mainly inside our own homes. Homeowners need to make pest-proofing just as much of a priority in winter as they do in summer, and a few simple chores around the house can go a long way in preventing a dangerous infestation.
To avoid having pests take up residence this winter, we recommend following these pest-proofing tips
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including where utilities enter.
- Replace loose mortar around the basement foundation and worn weather stripping around windows.
- Screen vents to chimneys and repair damaged screens.
- Maintain well-organized storage areas, placing items in sealed plastic bins off of the floor.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home on a raised cement structure.
- Keep branches and shrubbery trimmed away from the home.