Spiders are an unwelcome sight in any home, and in some cases, they can pose a serious threat to the health of the inhabitants. This is important to know what you can do to keep these pests out of your home.
There are several measures homeowners can take to prevent spider infestations:
- Keep the home clean: Spiders are attracted to clutter and dirty environments, so it’s important to keep the home clean and tidy to discourage them from moving in. Regularly dusting, vacuuming, and clearing out any clutter can help to remove potential food sources and breeding sites for spiders.
- Repair any cracks or openings in the exterior wall of the home: Spiders can enter homes through small cracks and openings, so it’s important to seal any such openings to prevent them from getting in..
- Use sticky traps: Sticky traps can be an effective way to capture and remove spiders when they are placed near entry points and in areas with heavy spider activity, such as corners and along baseboards.
- Use natural repellents: Some natural products, such as essential oils or spider repellent plants, can be effective at repelling spiders. These products can be used to create a natural barrier around the home to prevent spiders from entering.
- Keep outdoor areas clean: Spiders are attracted to areas with high insect populations, so it’s important to keep outdoor areas clean and free of debris to keep various prey insect populations at a minimum. This may include removing any potential breeding sites or food sources, such as piles of leaves or piles of wood.
If these prevention methods fail, then it’s time to move onto control, and for this stage of the process, it’s best to hire professional help. A pro can use a variety of tools and methods to destroy the infestation, and ensure that spiders do not return to reinfest the home in the near future.
Professional services are especially recommended if you are dealing with dangerous spider species such as the black widow or the brown recluse. These spiders need to be handled with care and removed as soon as possible from the home, because their venom is strong enough to land you in the hospital or cause serious wounds.
For more information on the steps you can take to prevent a spider infestation, or if you are currently dealing with an infestation in your home and you require professional pest control services, contact us today.