As the seasons change, so do the critters that invade our homes. One of the most common pests that homeowners have to deal with is ants. Fall season brings with it a whole host of ant species scrambling to take shelter in your warm and cozy home. Hence, it’s essential to take preventative measures to keep ants out and keep your home ant-free. In this blog, we’ll explore some useful tips for ant prevention tailored especially for the fall season.
1. Seal potential entry points: Ants can crawl through tiny holes and gaps, so it’s essential to seal all cracks and crevices in your home’s doors, windows, and walls. Check for gaps in your home’s foundation or pipe entry points and seal them. Invest in weather stripping for door bottoms, window seals, and chimney vents.
2. Keep your home clean: Ants are attracted to food and anything that smells like it. Ensure that your kitchen is free from food debris, and trash cans are closed tightly. Clean countertops, floors, and pantries regularly. Wipe and sanitize your kitchen appliances such as the toaster, microwave, and oven. Avoid leaving dirty dishes overnight in the sink.
3. Store food properly: Ants can easily find their way into improperly stored food items, including pet food. Keep all of your food in airtight plastic containers, and don’t leave fruit out on your kitchen counters. Check expiration dates regularly and dispose of expired foods. Clean up spills and crumbs immediately.
4. Check your yard: Ants build ant hills outside your home and can quickly make their way in. Inspect your yard and remove any potential habitats like old tree stumps, branches, and piles of leaves. Keep mulch and soil away from your home’s foundation.
5. Call in the pest control professionals: If all else fails, contact a pest control professional. An expert will identify the type of ants you’re dealing with, locate the nest, and use the appropriate treatments to prevent an infestation. Professionals can also provide essential services to keep ants away, including ongoing inspections, preventative treatments, and exclusion methods.
Before an ant infestation takes hold, take preventative measures to keep ants at bay. Simple steps like keeping your house clean and tidy, sealing potential entry points, and proper food storage can go a long way in ant prevention. Be proactive in maintaining your yard and keep an eye out for any ant activity. And when issues arise that can’t be resolved in-house, contact a pest control professional. They have the understanding and expertise to take care of the problem, so you don’t have to. By following these tips, you can enjoy an ant-free home all throughout the fall season and beyond.